The Kings Head hotel & livery yard stood at 9 West Street, possibly on the site of the original George Inn reputed to be the inn in which Charles II stayed the night before his escape to France. A later George Inn was built at 1 West Street (actually on the corner of Kent Street now disappeared beneath the Kingswest Centre).
In the 1930's the site was cleared for a Sports Stadium, SS Brighton, containing a large swimming pool. This opened in 1934, but the following year was converted to an ice-skating rink.
The site was returned to the hostelry business in the 1990's with the opening of the Oak Hotel (another reference to the Royal Escape maybe?). It is now a Travelodge.