"The Elms", a terrace of shops with flats above, took their name from the twin trees shown centre-right in the above photo. In 1933, the date of the photo, the right-hand end of the terrace had yet to be completed and this allows a glimpse of the undeveloped field beyond. The Patcham by-pass had been opened 7 years earlier, which accounts for the traffic free Old London Road. The trees on the left are in the garden of grade II listed Wootton House. Its flint wall is still there but hidden by cars in the photo below.
|The elm trees in July 2010 showing the first signs of disease.|
|August 2010, "The Elms" revealed once more.|
|The trees replanted.|