Saturday 1 April 2023
Saturday 27 August 2022
64 Brunswick Street West, built 1855-56 by a Mr Russell for the Brunswick Commissioners, has had its history commemorated with a blue plaque. It is constructed with render over rubble with brick quoins and has outlasted its replacement, the Alfred Waterhouse Hove Town Hall in Church Road, by 56 years.
Addressses were given by the City Mayor, Cr Lizzie Deane, Michael Ray the last Chief Executive of Hove Borough council, and Vasseema Hamilton, Executive Principal of the Brighton Institute of Modern Music. BIMM are the present occupiers of the building.
The plaque was unveiled by the City Mayor.
Sunday 19 June 2022
- Dr Angela Owen-Smith, a relative of Helen (delivered by her daughter).
- Professor Judith Bourne, Head of Law at St. Mary's University, associate member of Normanton Chambers and author of 'Helen Normanton and the Opening of the Bar to Women'.
- Professor Nicky Padfield QC, Master of the Bench at Middle Temple and Professor of Law at Cambridge University
- Dr. Helen Dancer, Senior Lecturer in Law at the University of Sussex and beneficiary of the Helen Normanton Ph.D Foundation.
- The City Mayor Lizzie Deane.