- Dr Angela Owen-Smith, a relative of Helen (delivered by her daughter).
- Professor Judith Bourne, Head of Law at St. Mary's University, associate member of Normanton Chambers and author of 'Helen Normanton and the Opening of the Bar to Women'.
- Professor Nicky Padfield QC, Master of the Bench at Middle Temple and Professor of Law at Cambridge University
- Dr. Helen Dancer, Senior Lecturer in Law at the University of Sussex and beneficiary of the Helen Normanton Ph.D Foundation.
- The City Mayor Lizzie Deane.
Sunday, 19 June 2022
Saturday, 18 June 2022
Thursday, 26 May 2022
Thursday, 10 March 2022
Monday, 24 January 2022
A remarkable female athlete was commemorated today with the unveiling of a plaque at 124 Freshfield Road by the City Mayor.
In 1927 Mercedes became the first British woman to swim the English Channel and in the following year the first person to swim the Straits of Gibralter. Other sponsored long distant and endurance swims followed, and in 1933 Mercedes used the funds generated to set up the first Gleitze Home for destitute people. The charity's work continues to this day.
A film "Vindication Swim" dealing with Mercedes' exploits in the English Channel is to be released later this year. The unveiling ceremony was attended by the film's star Kirsten Callaghan and director Elliot Hasler (photos below).