Demolition is expected to start shortly on the Gala Bingo Hall in Portland Road, Hove. It opened as the Granada cinema in 1933, and, as with other cinemas at that time, was also equipped with a stage, dressing rooms and cinema organ for live performances. It closed as a cinema in 1974 but shortly afterwards was opened by Ladbokes as a Bingo Hall. The stalls were levelled off and the circle concealed above a suspended ceiling. It remained as a bingo hall under various owners until 2003 when proposals were put forward for redevelopment of the site as flats. It has remained closed in a deteriorating state ever since. Permisson for demolition and redevelopment was granted in November last year.
The plans submitted by Conran & Partners, provide a new GP surgery at part ground floor level and part first floor level, a separate commercial unit at ground floor level, 31 flats above in part 2, 3, 4 and 5 storey building to include 14 affordable units. Also provided is surface parking for 18 cars, cycle parking and landscaping.
Further history see:- Granada Hove History