To take part go to:- Consultation Portal - Valley Gardens.
Here are a few ideas for improvement you might think worth mentioning:-
- Dig up the roadway on the south east corner and return it to garden. This was nibbled from the gardens over 100 years ago for the trams, it is now very underused.
- Close the St. James St./Castle Sq. traffic crossover (see below) and join the two sections of the Steine up. This will mean that all traffic has to go round the south, or north end of the Steine. So what?
- Dig up the unused roadway along the west side of the north section and return it to plantings. This area was pinched from the Steine comparatively recently for the bus lanes but has now become redundant.
- Provide a pedestrian crossing point from the north end of the Steine gardens to the pavement in front of the Royal Pavilion.
|Note. All the locations mentioned are pin-pointed in the above aerial view of the Steine. Click on the picture to see full-size image.|
|St. James's St./Castle Sq. crossover|
|Western side of Old Steine north|
|Victoria Gardesn southern section|
- In the large southern section put in diagonal paths, where people walk, (see above) and compensate for the loss of grass by reducing the width of the pavements around the edges. These pavements seem to be very rarely used.
- In the northern narrow section (see below) increase its width by removing much of the perimeter paving, particularly on the west side. It is shabby, unnecessarily wide and seldom used. Provide a path down the centre of the garden so that pedestrians can enjoy their walk at maximum remove from the traffic.
|West side of Victoria gardens north.|
|Victoria Gardens north|