|How it might look from the south.|
The city council bid was submitted last December with developers Crest Nicholson. Crest Nicholson are teaming with the Starr Trust on the project, which will include community space.
Proposals for the site include:-
A sports centre with:
- 25 metre, eight lane swimming pool with moveable floor and 352 spectator seats
- 20m by 10m teaching pool with moveable floor and a 400sqm leisure pool
- Sports hall, the size of eight badminton courts and multi-purpose hall.
- 120 station gym, bike spinning room, workout studio, quiet activity studio and a sauna suite
- Gymnastics centre
- 3 rink indoor bowls hall
- Martial arts dojo
- Crèche and soft play room
- 200 space car park for sports centre users.
- Around 560 flats in four main blocks, the highest block on the SW corner being 18 storeys.
- 20% of flats will be affordable homes - for rent or shared ownership.
- Proceeds from the sale of private flats would fund a new public leisure centre.
A provisional timetable for the project is subject to concluding contractual arrangements in the first half of 2018. It is hoped planning public consultation could commence by mid-2018 with a view to a planning application later this year. Details of the longer-term programme will be published once contractual arrangements are finalised. An indicative timescale would be see the sports centre open in 2023.
See also: Save Hove post.