The Surf & Ski shop in Church Street was once the premises of the Brighton Herald printers. Its side wall visible above the gated opening marks one side of a closed court, which, up until demolition in 1936, contained a terrace of twelve mean cottages known as Preeces Buildings. These cottages shared four leanto privies on the opposite side of the court. Entrance to the court was much narrower than that shown here and passed under the first floor of a building which the modern (1970s) development on the left has since replaced.
Photos of Preeces Buildings can be seen in the James Gray collection.:-