The 19thC cottages in Ann Street were replaced in the 1970s by a new building for the St. Bartholomew's C of E Primary School. The school is set further back from the pavement that the housing it replaced. The choice of bricks is unfortunate. A rendered finish would have looked better against the side of the church.
The original school building, in Providence Place behind the church, was built in 1874 and demolished in 1975.