. . . very neglected, and rather disfigured by notices from the Princess Marine Hotel, Kingsway to which it presumably belongs. It was once the west boundary wall of a large private house built in 1902 and later occupied by Hove College which closed in 1980. The house later burnt down while it was undergoing conversion.
The body of the wall is a mixture of brick and flint cobble and it has brick buttresses and half-round brick top edging. The unusual octagonal pier appears to have developed a lean since an earlier photograph and a crack has opened up with the body of the wall.
No. 155 Kingsway behind, the former Nurses' Home, is now completely derelict. It is scheduled for demolition and the site for redevelopment with low-rise flats. Work was supposed to have started last September.