This central circular feature of Hove Recreation Ground dates from its opening in 1891. It once comprised a complete circle of trees which, up to well into the last century, surrounded a bowl-shaped concavity possibly about 15 foot deep. It may have been intended originally as some kind of grotto or fernery.
|google earth view|
The circle of trees is now incomplete and, like many other original features of the city's parks & gardens the bowl no longer exists having been filled up sometime in the latter half of the 20th century.