Dating from around 1883, the yellow, 10-sided building opposite the bottom of West Street originally acted as a natural light lantern to illuminate the Shelter Hall below. Latterly it had operated as a snack bar.
Detailed photographs have been taken to ensure a faithful restoration. Decorative ironwork will be used to make moulds so that missing pieces can be re-cast at a foundry in Oxfordshire. Rotten woodwork will be replaced by Seth Evans Joinery from Patching, who worked on the council’s award-winning reconstruction of historic fishermen’s arches near the i360. New window frames and shutters will be made.
The lower promenade shelter hall
Rebuilding of the Seafront Shelter Hall
New life for the Seafront Shelter Hall