It seems likely that no.161, the only listed property in Edward Street, was originally named after the former Lord Chancellor Baron Thurlow. He was frequently to be seen at Brighton towards the end of his life. In the winter of 1805 in Brighton he was consulted by Sir Samuel Romilly about Lady Douglas's charges against the Princess of Wales. He died at Brighton in 1806.
The building itself dates from the early 19thC and had the ground floor converted to a pub at some date before 1832, the earliest mention in a street directory. It had thus carried the name 'Thurlow Arms" (sometimes supplemented with "inn" or "hotel") for over 140 years before its name was changed. Like many pubs in Brighton it fell victim to the modern fad for sweeping away all hints of a pub's history in an attempt to attract new custom. "The Jury's Out" was no doubt suggested by the building of the Law Courts across the road.
Among the features the EH description mentions are; the mathematical tiles in Flemish bond (which have been spoiled by being painted at some time); the Tuscan pilasters framing the windows and doors, and the continuous architraves to the windows and parapet.