Sunday, 7 November 2010

Rottingdean Seafront - Then & Now



Rottingdean was incorporated into Brighton in 1928 and the Undercliff Walk was opened in 1933. Judging by the iron railings which seem to be the same pattern as on Brighton seafront it seems probable that the early picture is post-1928, but before the Undercliff walk reached Rottingdean, since, in the foreground, steps appear to be leading down to the beach. It is perhaps not surprising, given the conditions, that the railings didn't endure as long as Brighton's and, in the major reconstruction of the Undercliff Walk, completed in 2005, stainless steel ones were provided where necessary. The cliff-top restaurant and private houses were demolished for the flats development in the 1960's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In event of difficulty in adding comment, email:- quedula@gmail.com