|The new plaque reprises the exact wording of the one it replaces.|
A single plaque can hardly do this remarkable woman justice. Born to travelling players she became an actress herself and at Duke Street Theatre attracted the attention of Thomas Coutts of royal bank fame. She later married him and when he died inherited his entire fortune including the bank. In 1827 she married the then 9th Duke of St. Albans and her Brighton property, 131 Kings Road, became known as St. Albans House. She died in 1837.
The previous plaque placed on the building in the 1970s had become heavily weathered and, following a recent refurbishment of the Regency Restaurant and Beach Hotel, the owners, Emilio and Rovertos Savvides were keen to upgrade the plaque to the more prestiguous and eye-catching design in blue and white ceramic.
The plaque was unveiled by the present Duke of St. Albans in the presence of the Deputy Mayor, Cllr. Mo Marsh, and past Mayor, Mayoress and Aldermen.
|L - R: Emilio Savvides; Roger Amerena; Deputy Mayor; Duchess of St. Albans; Duke of St.Albans.|